Girlfriend studying english there, WHERE?¿

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend studying english there, WHERE?¿

hello friends, my girlfriend is starting to "upgrade" her english ,because she is a teacher she will need to know more english for the near future.

now she is in one english school here,studing 3 hours/week and she is thinking about travel to England,Ireland,Scotland,Wales ... to the isles in the next summer for around 2 months.

and i would like to know wich could be the best or better places to go there to study,talking about then talking accents...the most pure,better i think. because one girl said to my girlfriend today that in Scotland has a "extrange" not 100% pure english accent?? could be?? is it true??

Scotland seems to be the cheapest place where to go there

any suggestions about it friends?? if my girlfriend goes to some place there i will have to go too for take some small holidays
    Last edited by Rocco; 16 May 2011, 21:45.
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Hey Rocco.
    Scotland definitely had a few dialects that would not be recognised by most english people. Even some scots!
    These dialects are mostly based on the 'Scots' language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language
    John Bowlerwell
    Electronic Engineer

Present:
    Nogaro Blue RS2 - TOE
    Previous:
    Kingfisher Blue S2 - UAA
    Volcano Black RS2 LHD - DEX

Comment

The Scottish accent is definitely distinct, although the language is still English, with the exception of the dialects mentioned above.

The Edinburgh accent is probably the most understandable in Scotland for non-Scots.

There's a fair bit of variation in England, with Liverpool and Newcastle probably having the most extreme accents.

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and the midlands have relatively tame accents. Home counties are similar, but posh.

Technically the "standard" English is Received Pronounication (60s BBC English), but only posh folk talk like that now.
      1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
      A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

finding anyone sober enough in Scotland to talk to is a challenge in itself
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

so Scotland should be useless??

Dublin???
          London?
          Liverpool??
          Manchester??
          Newcasttle??

north ireland???

Comment

Cant remeber where i read it, but the clearest, best spoken English in the UK is in Inverness!

Comment

Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa!

Comment

Have a look along the south coast, (Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Bournemouth) there are a lot of language schools down here for the European Students. There will be an influx from Europe from about now (Mid March) right 'round until end of Summer term, so the locals and infrastructure is used to the routine... a 'less parochial' dialect and warmer climate are contributory factors to the large number of language schools too...

If you're after an 'accented' anglicized region that will strengthen dialect, I'd suggest Yorkshire.
                85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                  Have a look along the south coast, (Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Bournemouth) there are a lot of language schools down here for the European Students. There will be an influx from Europe from about now (Mid March) right 'round until end of Summer term, so the locals and infrastructure is used to the routine... a 'less parochial' dialect and warmer climate are contributory factors to the large number of language schools too...

If you're after an 'accented' anglicized region that will strengthen dialect, I'd suggest Yorkshire.
                  Get her to move to the east end of London and learn proper cockney

That'll really confuse her
                  S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Audi Parts Guru View Post
                    Get her to move to the east end of London and learn proper cockney

That'll really confuse her
                    Is it that obvious from my ramblings where I was born?.. (And that's the truth).
                    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                    93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                      Dublin - Irish
                      London - Cockney
                      Liverpool - Scouse
                      Manchester - Mancunian
                      Newcasttle - Geordie
                      All English, just completely different accents and dialects

If you feel like coming to a nice area of England, give me a shout as i live in the Lake District
                      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

thanks for the info,i am advising her about forget Scotland

you guys will have to care my girlfriend there¡¡

Comment

I wouldn't forget Scotland - it's a pretty amazing place, just make sure it's one of the many amazing places she visits
                          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                            you guys will have to care my girlfriend there¡¡
                            Oh my.

1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                            A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

Jersey in the Channel Isles has an English school - popular with many European students.
                              sigpic
                              Other cars:VW Transporter T5 4motion, 'S3 sportback

Comment

Working...
                              X